Hello and welcome to my little travel corner! My name is Petra and I’m the person behind Polyglot Petra. If you’re looking to contact me, go ahead and shoot me an email!
I’m Thai, born and raised. Now a digital nomad based in the US, but moving cities every month or two. I enjoy constant changes in my environment and having to relearn and adapt to new cultures is super exciting to me. This is how I recharge and maintain the energy to bring you new content!
Let me tell you how this craziness started…
I grew up going on “vacations” to the beach with my parents every summer, and we’d spend 3-to 4 days relaxing inside the resort, in the lounge, by the beach, at the pool, you name it. But we never wandered out to the local neighborhood. We were pretty basic, and I loved those vacations.
Flash forward to 2017 in California. After waiting over a year to go on a road trip to the Grand Canyon with my friends and it never happened, I decided to do it on my own despite fear and worries. I planned and booked everything myself, told my mom I was going solo, and went for it. That was my first time traveling on my own without a tour guide of some kind. I handpicked every local restaurant I went into and I connected with my lodging hosts along the way. It ended up being the most fulfilling 2 weeks of my life.
Flash forward to 2019, I decided to plan a trip to Rome and Bologna with my mom; no package, no tour guide. We took our time and really got to know the culture in both cities. This was when my passion for slow travel went international. I was on a constant high from talking to baristas, and restaurant staff, asking them questions about Italian cuisine, visiting museums and reading every single plague about their history…
Needless to say, there was no going back to the quick surface-level trips from there.
Today, I get to share my experiences to help other travelers like you navigate your destinations more easily while digging deeper and finding the human connection we share in all parts of the world.
I’m so glad you found me. Thank you for being here, and I hope you enjoy what you find!
What You’ll Find On Polyglot Petra
Here, you’ll find travel guides and itineraries tailored to slow or heritage travel (with sprinkles of bucket-list items, of course!), local phrases with some tips to help you navigate your destinations, and if you’re a culture junkie like me, hyper-cultural articles where I dig deeper into my destinations’ background and ways of life.
Fun Facts about Petra
- I’m a die-hard Harry Potter fan and fiercely Ravenclaw. My favorite book is The Prisoner of Azkaban and my favorite movie is the last one. What’s your house? Which book is your favorite and which movie is your favorite? Shoot me an email and show yourself, Potterhead!
- Also a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan. Let’s just say I’m an average nerd.
- I spent 10 years working in the film industry before making travel my new job. I worked as a local crew member on foreign films that went to shoot in Thailand (there are way more than you think!) for the first 5 years, then I moved to California for grad school and resettled my career in Hollywood.
- It’s my life goal to speak 10 languages. We’re currently at 4 and a half; Thai, English, Spanish, Korean, and half of Portuguese!
- I don’t eat melted ice cream because I think it’s gross. (Weird, I know…) If it starts melting around the edges, I will stick it back into the freezer. That also means if I buy an ice cream while out, I’ll eat it at a superhuman speed to prevent it from melting!